Digital marketing expert Guido Ambolini advises businesses on optimizing content in different languages and regions to connect with audiences and expand globally.
Technology means companies can reach beyond local or regional audiences. The Internet provides unparalleled opportunities to communicate with a global audience in different languages. But this brings challenges.
Research shows that more than 70% of people are more likely to visit a website that is available in their native language. However, to convert traffic into sales and loyalty, you need to consider more than just direct translation.
There are issues of authenticity, cultural sensitivity, and optimal search engine visibility in each region.
The problem is that English remains the dominant digital language. But it is spoken by only less than a fifth of the world’s population. This leaves a large segment of the market untouched. And a dilemma for companies looking to expand into other regions.
Companies capable of comprehensive localization, free of misinterpretation, loss of meaning, and cultural insensitivity, will have the advantage, but only when combined with superior multilingual SEO practices.
With unique search patterns, keyword preferences and digital behaviors in different regions, creating original content is no easy feat, even with generative AI and high-quality translation services.
Understand the potential of artificial intelligence
Creating AI content has been a major focus for organizations lately. With the ability to create high-ranking, SEO-optimized content capable of achieving optimal visibility, it has been a game-changer for many businesses.
Through the use of sophisticated algorithms and expanded data sets, AI can enable a truly strategic approach to content creation and website targeting, while using algorithmic insights to ensure that content not only ticks SEO boxes, but attracts the target audience.
When combined with multilingual SEO, this can further help businesses reach a global audience. But the technology is not without limitations. And with most software fed into the Internet notoriously inaccurate, there is plenty of room for errors to occur, especially when the AI content is then translated into several different languages.
The answer, then, for companies is to use AI differently. Leveraging not only their creativity, but also their ability to dig deeper into user behaviors, mine and analyze data, and create a deeper user experience by customizing content on a market-by-market basis.
Combine artificial and human intelligence
The reason why many companies struggle to achieve success in their digital endeavors despite having access to the power of AI is that they fail to realize that AI is not a standalone solution.
Although it can be a great way to speed up content creation, you need human input to navigate the nuances, ensure value and avoid cultural errors – especially when translating.
The fruitful synergy between AI speed and human insight is key for companies to not only reach new markets but to fully connect with them in a way that feels authentic.
Leveraging Artificial Intelligence for Multilingual Search Engine Optimization
It is important to take a structured approach to simplify the process of creating multilingual SEO content.
- Define your goals: What audience do you want to target? What language do they speak? What are the key messages that you will deliver?
- Harnessing Local Experts: Working with a team of local professionals who will be able to bring their cultural knowledge to bear while removing any language barriers. Providing them with the necessary artificial intelligence tools to raise their efficiency.
- Keyword Research: Even with the capabilities of AI, conducting your own translated keyword research will be invaluable to improving your business.
- Integrate Technologies: Experience AI for the likes of data analysis but use your own human team to personalize content. This will ensure that every piece of content is relevant across different platforms and cultures.
- Think technical: improve your technical SEO. Implement language targeting. Build high quality backlinks. Monitor and analyze your site’s performance. And adopt a flexible site structure, so you can ensure compatibility in different areas.
- Constant Evolution: Technology is evolving before our eyes and global markets are constantly transforming. Therefore, if you are to survive and thrive, it is imperative that you are constantly adjusting and improving your strategy. Use a combination of data-driven, human-validated choices to get the best results.
Multilingual SEO can seem complicated and many companies fall at the first hurdle, wasting money and time on failed attempts. But when you build your strategy on the dual foundation of technology and people, you can transform both your content and your business. The opportunities for international success are vast, and all you need is the right approach to take advantage of them.
Guido Ampolini is the founder and CEO of the company GA Agency, Independent digital agency based in London. The agency specializes in international expansion It has an in-house team that is fluent in 16 languages.
10 things you need to know straight to your inbox every day of the week. Sign up The daily summarySilicon Republic’s digest of essential science and technology news.