Many people think that reporting a fender bender is unnecessary. However, reporting a car accident to the police is the best way to protect your rights.
Some drivers may not want to report a Car accident Because they do not have what is required Car insurance coverage Or a Valid driver’s license. The driver may be under the influence of alcohol and want to avoid it DUI charge.
No matter why the driver doesn’t want to Report a car accidentYou can call 911 to report the accident. If the other driver refuses to cooperate or is aggressive or angry, call 911 immediately for help. Don’t let the driver stop you from reporting a car accident.
What is the Texas Auto Accident Reporting Law?
Texas transportation law §550,026 Specifies when you need to report a car accident to the police. The law requires you to report an incident to the police using the “fastest means of communication” when the incident involves:
Calling 911 is usually the quickest way to report a car accident to law enforcement officials. The operator dispatches the correct law enforcement agency with jurisdiction to the scene. Officers must complete a Written crash report When investigating an accident resulting in death, bodily injury, or property damage of $1,000 or more.
Why would I want to get an official crash report for a car accident?
Without an official police report, the other driver can claim that he was not involved in an accident with you. without video certificate collision or Eyewitness statementIt can be difficult to prove that the other driver is lying.
Moreover, the official report often makes the recording and Insurance claim settlement Easier. Insurance companies are usually skeptical Claims Submitted accident reports. Failure to report the accident may lead to an aggressive attitude by the insurance company.
Accident reports often contain the police officer’s identification of the driver who contributed to the cause of the accident. The report also indicates if the driver was cited Traffic violation. This information is not conclusive evidence in and of itself flawbut the insurance company may look more favorably at the claim with this information in hand.
Steps to take after a car accident to protect your right to a fair damage settlement
The steps you take after a car accident can significantly affect the outcome of your personal injury claim. Therefore, it is helpful to keep these steps in mind if you are involved in a car accident:
- Call 911 to report the incident and request medical services And police officers.
- Do not discuss the accident with anyone at the scene other than the police officer. never Admit the mistake Or say that you may be partially responsible for causing the meltdown.
- If it is safe to do so, take photos of the accident site, including vehicles and property damage. Additionally, recording a video of the scene can help ensure that key evidence is not missed.
- Ask people who stopped at the scene or witnessed the accident for their names and phone numbers.
- Do not refuse medical treatment. Saying that you are “fine” or “fine” can be interpreted as indicating that you are not injured. If you do not go to the hospital from the scene of the accident, see a doctor as soon as possible.
- Follow up with your doctor to be sure Medical records perfect. You need accurate medical records to relate the accident to your condition injuries.
that Insurance adjuster He may contact you after the accident to ask for a statement. It is not in your interest to answer questions or make a statement without legal advice.
Remember that most insurance companies record phone calls. Anything you say later can be used to assign blame for the accident.
Contact an auto accident attorney to get help with your case
Instead, contact an auto accident attorney as soon as possible to discuss your case. A personal injury lawyer advises you about your legal options, including how to protect your right to fair compensation for the harm you have suffered. monetary Losses, injuries and more Damages.
Roderick Lopez He has been practicing law for more than 20 years. He is the founding attorney at Roderick C. Lopez Personal Injury Lawyers, a personal injury law firm located in Laredo, Texas. Since 2010, when it opened its doors, it has won more than $30 million on behalf of its clients.
communication Roderick C. Lopez, PC If you have been injured in Laredo due to someone else’s negligence and get a free case review.